Taking care of your braces is key to keeping your treatment on-schedule and caring for your teeth properly during treatment. Here are a few guidelines to help you keep your braces in good condition and maintain your oral health during treatment.
Brushing & Flossing
Proper oral hygiene can be a little more difficult while wearing braces, but by keeping your teeth clean you can prevent cavities, periodontal disease and other problems. We recommend that you:
- Brush at least three times each day – ideally after every meal. If you eat a sugary snack in between meals, you may want to brush again at that time.
- Use an interproximal brush to clean around the brackets and wires. This brush can reach areas that your regular brush might miss due to the braces on your teeth.
- Floss at least once a day – you may need to use a floss threader to reach behind the wire of your braces.
- Rinse with water after brushing. You may also want to consider using a specialized rinse.
- Follow the list of foods to avoid while wearing braces – this will help prevent damage to the braces and keep your smile healthy.
Loose Wires & Bands
If the wires and bands on your braces come loose, call Hodges Orthodontics as soon as possible so that we can correct the problem. Loose or broken braces can prolong your treatment time.
If Dr. Ryan Hodges provides you with an orthodontic appliance, please wear it as directed and take good care of it. This will help keep your treatment on-track.
If you have any questions about caring for your braces or to make an appointment with our orthodontist in Newbury Park or Moorpark, California, please call or text us at 805-498-1006.