For the most part, you should be able to eat normally while wearing braces. However, there are certain types of foods that you should avoid, as they can damage your braces and make your total treatment time longer. The types of foods you should avoid include:
- Chewy foods (such as gummy candy and licorice)
- Crunchy foods (such as popcorn, ice and tortilla chips)
- Sticky foods (such as caramel, taffy and chewing gum)
- Hard foods (such as nuts and hard candies)
- Foods that require you to bite into them (corn on the cob, raw carrots and uncut apples)
Dr. Ryan Hodges will review these foods with you when you begin treatment.
If you have any questions or to make an appointment with our experienced orthodontist in Newbury Park, California, please call or text Hodges Orthodontics at 805-498-1006.